Canon 80D Review
Updated: February 14, 2017
Vloggers that use this camera:
Fun For Louis
... and many more!
The Canon 80D vlogging camera is a DSLR made for video. It has a 24.2 MP APS-C CMOS sensor. It can record videos up to 1080p at 60fps. The battery life is improved at an average of 960 shots from the earlier version – 70D. Though DSLR’s are not ideal for vlogging, because most of them are not that lightweight. And here also we are seeing the same thing, the weight of this camera is 730 grams. And it will be a little bit difficult for you to carry it around every day.
- Water Resistant – The construction of this camera is water and dust proof, so you can now create outdoor vlogs even in the rainy season.
- Great battery life – The battery life of this camera is around 960 shots which is way above the average of enthusiast level DSLR’s. For vloggers a good battery life is really important, because without it you would have to either carry a power bank or extra batteries with you all time.
- Flipping touch screen – We have said it many times that a flipping screen is one of the most essential features for vloggers, it’s a must have. With the help of the flipping screen you can see whether you are in the frame or not easily. And without the flipping screen you would have no idea what is being shot and you may have to take a couple of shots just to set the frame, every time. Here it comes with a flipping touch screen, which will be a huge time saver for you.
- Wi-Fi with NFC – Wi-Fi capability is very common in most of the high end cameras, but you should not take it for granted. It is a really essential feature which makes transferring and even uploading your videos and photos delightfully simple.
- Microphone and Headphone port – For getting the best audio quality for your vlogs, you will need an external microphone because the built in microphones are not that great. Here not only you are getting an external microphone jack but also a headphone port to monitor your audio in real time.
- Slow-motion and time lapse – Using slow motion and time lapses once in a while in your vlogs will spice them up.
- Not lightweight – The weight of this camera is 730g. And it’s not easy to carry around a piece of more than half a kilo everywhere through the entire day.
- Does not support 4K – It would be awesome if it supports 4K video recording.
This camera has some really great features which complement vlogging like a flipping touch screen, recording in slow-motion, recording time lapses, Wi-Fi, Full HD recording and 45 point autofocus system. These are some fantastic features to pack into one single camera, which will allow you to create incredibly powerful vlogs.
Read on for the full Canon 80D vlogging camera review...
This camera does have a lot of interesting features which complements vlogging in a really good way. Now let’s dive deep in to some of its core features like lens, storage, battery and video capabilities.
It has 24.2 MP lens with a focal length of 18mm to 135mm. The overall image quality is really good. The pictures are bright and beautiful as we would expect from a DSLR. The lens stoop up pretty well against low light also, though the specs doesn’t seems that good for low lightning. But it does shoot great videos in low light.
One more advantage we get from using DSLR’s is that we can use a wide variety of lens unlike the classic point and shoot cameras. In the point and shoot cameras we have a fixed lens, so it’s not changeable but in DSLR’s we don’t have a fixed lens and it’s easily replaceable. You can choose from a wide variety of lens and upgrade the quality of your vlogs without investing in a new camera every few years.
The Canon EOS 80D can be called that it’s a DSLR made for video. Not many DSLR’s are meant for shooting videos, because they are mostly used by professional photographers. It can shoot up to 1080p at 60fps, which is the next best thing after 4k. It doesn’t support 4k and it’s not that important because the majority of the people are still using the HD devices which are not capable on taking the full advantage of 4k videos.
The overall video quality is really good, it’s sharp and crisp. One of the things that will help you in creating your vlogs is the autofocus system of this camera. It has three auto focus modes - face tracking+, flexi zone single and flexi zone multi. These modes makes it really easy to shoot different types of vlogs. It is also capable of shooting slow motion and time lapse videos. Once again just like 4k, these features are not extremely necessary but if you have them then you can spice up your vlog once in a while by using these features.
The overall battery life of this camera is around 960 shots which is way above the industry average of the enthusiast level DSLR’s. A good battery life is really important for vloggers as they would have to shoot vlogs through their entire day. The battery of this Canon EOS 80D once fully charged will be enough for a day for most of the vloggers, but if you are a very heavy user then you can carry a couple of extra batteries with you just to be on the safer side.
You can save your battery life by not using the LCD screen when it’s possible, by shutting down the features you are not using, by not using the autofocus in continues mode, etc. All these simple little things can stop your DSLR from draining battery very quickly.
So the overall battery life of this camera is great, you won’t have any complaints as far as battery life is concerned. And for DSLR’s battery life is at most of the times not a problem, as they are not lightweight the manufacturers can use large batteries unlike the point and shoot cameras.
The storage technology used here, is one of the best out there. It supports the SDHC and SDXC memory cards which can read and write up to 90 MB/s. It has a DIGIC 6 processor and combine that beast with this insanely fast cards, that’s what is making this camera fast and accurate in shooting videos all the time.
You can shoot videos in full HD all the time and you won’t notice even a bit of lag what so ever. In terms of storage capacity you can put up to 512 GB of memory card at once and that’s more than enough for most of the vloggers. And you can also transfer your files insanely fast to your computer too. So, as far as storage is concerned there’s no problem here.
Below is a quick list of the most common (and essential!) accessories that users get with the Canon 80D vlogging camera. Make sure to check them out. Small additions like screen protectors and carry cases can save years of your camera's life:
Protective carrying case
HD Memory card
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Does it have a touchscreen?
A: Yes it does. And it’s very helpful while creating your vlogs as you can easily focus with a tap and also change the settings easily.
Q: Does it record in 4k?
A: No it doesn’t. I can record up to 1080p at 60fps. Though everybody’s going crazy over 4k, it’s still in the evolvement phase. And not many people are really using 4k devices in their day to day life, so it’s not that big of a deal.
Q: Is it really better than its predecessor – Canon EOS 70D?
A: Yes, technically it is. While the Canon EOS 70D was launched in 2013, the 80D is launched in 2016. So in these three years, Canon learned a lot from their customers and at the same time the overall technology has also evolved. In the new Canon EOS 80D you get new features like time-lapse recording, headphone port, NFC connection, 19% more pixels, 26 more focus points, etc. Overall they have improved this camera a lot.
Q: Does it have dual memory card slots?
A: No it does not. It only have one memory card slot which supports SHDC and SDXC memory cards. You can put up to 512 GB of memory card, so there’s no need of having two memory cards. For most of the vloggers, 512 GB of data is way more than enough.
This concludes our detailed review of the Canon 80D vlogging camera. Final noteworthy points to highlight are that it has a 24.2 MP lens which works great even in low light and the overall video quality is really brilliant. It has some really nice features which cater very well to vlogging in essentials like the flip touch screen, on-camera Wi-Fi and external microphone jack. The overall battery life and storage capabilities are excellent.